dens|ee*

KL Contemporary Music Festival 2009

Monday

This post is about Musical

This post has 11 comments

Sean invited me to attend the KL Con­tem­po­rary Music Fes­ti­val 2009 at SEGI Uni­ver­sity Col­lage, Kota Damansar.

Ticket

I have not encounter any con­tem­po­rary music before this until that day. Con­tem­po­rary music is so dif­fer­ent from clas­si­cal, jazz, new age, rock or pop just to name a few.

Unlike most of the other music gen­res, con­tem­po­rary music has no beau­ti­ful melodies har­mo­niously com­posed. It is harsh in sound, out of har­mony, aggres­sive and expressive.

One moment, all per­form­ers play with all their strength all together, until their faces turned red and veins appeared; one moment, all per­form­ers stop play­ing and the hall was pin-drop silence.

IMG_0022

Hard to visu­alise? I know. Well, you can try to imag­ine hav­ing some 3-year-old kids on the stage, give each of them a musi­cal instru­ment and ask all of them to play at the same time. That’s basi­cally how con­tem­po­rary music will sound like. Just giv­ing exam­ple. No sar­casm intended.

Here’s a video from YouTube where you can lis­ten to how con­tem­po­rary music sounds like.

Sean told me it was an orches­tra from Ger­many, full of antic­i­pa­tion I was. But when the con­cert begins, I was like “what is this!? Is it going to be like this through­out the concert?”

Appar­ently, the answer was yes. It was a con­cert all about con­tem­po­rary music with per­form­ers from Ger­many and other coun­tries play­ing music com­posed by Malaysian composers.

IMG_0019

I couldn’t under­stand a thing at first until the third or fourth piece was played. When I lis­ten to the music care­fully, I have come to under­stand that con­tem­po­rary music is not about har­monic melodies.

It’s about the impact, sound effect, speed, body move­ment and expres­sion com­bined to bring the composer’s mes­sage across.

IMG_0015

Imag­ine sit­ting in the hall lis­ten­ing to the music for 3 hours, I would say it wasn’t really a pleas­ant or enjoy­able moment.

It is rare to have a chance to lis­ten to live con­tem­po­rary music per­for­mance espe­cially in coun­try like Malaysia whose music indus­try is just skin deep com­pare to the west­ern countries.

Although con­tem­po­rary music is not my cup of tea, but it’s good to have the chance to expe­ri­ence the unseen facet of the music world.

Monday

This post is about Musical

This post has 11 comments

CommentNo. 1

Ted30 November 200911:11 AM

thanks for the info, I’ll try to stay away from con­tem­po­rary. hehe

CommentNo. 2

smashpOp30 November 200911:49 AM

ur blogroll… must click to view all ah… then my link nvr appear lo if ppl don click… :( aha­hah kidding 😀

CommentNo. 3

Sean Kung30 November 20091:05 PM

dude, clips are ready. I’ll send you the link to down­load them~

Author’s CommentNo. 4

Den­nis30 November 20091:14 PM

@smashpOp
Hahaha… ini­tially I was think­ing to drop the blogroll thingy for good… maybe you can change your name to ash­pOp… kidding…

Author’s CommentNo. 5

Den­nis30 November 20091:22 PM

@Sean
Cool… then I can update this post with the real thing… thanks…

CommentNo. 6

Michael Asmara30 November 20092:13 PM

Most peo­ples used to lis­ten some­thing in com­mon, so when there is an alien sounds (even acc­tu­ally is not an alien) come up then make them sock. Con­tem­po­rary Art Music is an alter­na­tive sounds cre­ated for peo­ples who like to open their mind and lis­ten from other per­spec­tive. That is why the fes­ti­val such like KLCMF should be continued.…every years

Author’s CommentNo. 7

Den­nis30 November 20092:21 PM

@Michael
I agree that con­tem­po­rary music is an alter­na­tive to main­stream music… but those who doesn’t like it doesn’t mean they are closed minded… it’s about per­sonal preference…

CommentNo. 8

max30 November 200911:40 PM

Are you the real Michael Asmara?

CommentNo. 9

Michael Asmara1 December 200911:32 PM

I did say that peo­ples who doesn’t like a con­tem­po­rary music is a closed mind peo­ples. I just said that Con­tem­po­rary Art Music is an alter­na­tive sounds that cre­ated for peo­ples who like to open their mind and lis­ten the sounds from other per­spec­tive. Because I know that not all con­tem­po­rary music are good and not all mass music are bad.
Imag­ine if the rest of our live we only eat Dun kin Donut or Ken­tucky Fried Chicken??? and we do not want to eat some­thing dif­fer­ent because we do not know that there are another food we can eat.??

Author’s CommentNo. 10

Den­nis2 December 200911:05 AM

Maybe I mis­un­der­stood from your pre­vi­ous com­ment. After read­ing your com­ments for a few times, I think I under­stand what you wanted to say.

Con­tem­po­rary music is not for every­one. It’s for those who like to lis­ten to some­thing dif­fer­ent. Is that what you are try­ing to say?

Unfor­tu­nately, con­tem­po­rary music didn’t found its place in my heart. Or per­haps I have yet to find those do. Who knows.

Thanks for shar­ing your thoughts Michael.

CommentNo. 11

Michael Asmara2 December 200911:26 AM

It’s just about famil­iar and unfamiliar…your wellcome

Post CommentComments are being moderated